We work exclusively to listen, understand and reflect. We know that continuing development is the life blood of a successful organisation and effective appraisal is part of that strategy for success. We are highly experienced educators, inspectors and qualified external advisers and we bring this breadth of knowledge and understanding to your Head teacher appraisal process.
It is a statutory responsibility of governing boards in maintained schools to ensure that they set objectives for the headteacher as part of an annual appraisal. Academies can also adopt the process as appropriate for headteacher appraisal and this needs to be documented in the school’s appraisal policy.
The headteacher appraisal is usually carried out by an appraisal sub/group/panel of two or three governors with an external adviser being used for advice, support and to consult with regarding appropriate objectives.
Role of the headteacher appraisal panel
- Set objectives for the headteacher
- Appraise the performance of the headteacher, assessing their performance in the role against the headteacher standards 2020 (link is external)(GOV.UK website) and their performance objectives.
- Assess the headteacher’s professional development needs and the actions needed to address them.
- Make a recommendation on a headteacher’s pay progression, where relevant. This must be done by 31 December.
- Give the headteacher a written report of his/her appraisal, which include assessments and the decision on pay.
- Determine the appraisal period that applies. In most cases this will be 12 months, unless the headteacher is employed on a shorter fixed-term contract.
- Set objectives which will contribute to improving the education of pupils.
- Details on the headteacher appraisal process can be found in the DfE governance handbook (section 6.6.6) (link is external)(GOV.UK website)
* Login required: Our GDBE elevate guidance and templates come as part of the service bundle. You will need to have an GDBE elevate user account to purchase. If you do not have a user account please visit create an account with us.
GDBE elevate offers two service bundles for headteacher appraisal, standard and comprehensive.